Making the leap from being a WordPress developer in your spare time or for a boss to going freelance is daunting but exciting. If you’re like me, when you go freelance your focus will be on the work and not on the business side of things. But thinking like that could be a big mistake.
The big mistages are:
- Mistake #1: Undercharging
- Solution – Work out your rate following this simple process
- Mistake #2: No Contract
- Don’t work without it because you need to know and agree on what will be done, payment schedule (I suggest weekly invoicing and payment), and what happens if something go wrong
- Mistake #3: No Project Brief
- Summary of project timelines, details of exactly what will be done, each parties responsibilties, criteria for success, and who does what after project completed
- Mistake #4: No Deposit
- Some client may push back but stand firm as this is how you work, it is an industry practice, and is part of the contract they signed
Great stuff and you can read all of it at the link below.
Source: 4 Freelancing Mistakes That Are Costing You Cash (and How to Avoid Them) – WPMU DEV by Rachel McCollin